Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Bundle of the Living

I just got up, having laid in bed for the last hour, awake. I brought Simeon into our bed at roughly 5 a.m. because he was crying in his crib (presumably from a bad dream) and I didn't want him to wake his brother. So, he slept peacefully in between us, sucking on his binky and holding his lambie. I tossed and turned thinking about all the things I need to get done over the next 48 hours; thankful I didn't have to get up and run in the dark--and trying to convince myself that I should go back to sleep. Sleep eluded me.
At 6:15 a.m., Philip appeared. "Hey bud," I greeted. "Simeon is in here right now as well, I don't know if there's room for you." "I just want to get in the middle, mom, just in the middle." That is often his request when he appear in our room--just to get in the middle. So, up he climbed and it was a tangle of arms and heads and legs and warm little bodies--mostly pressing up against their snoring father!
As I lay there, I was reminded of the verse in I Sam. 25, when Abigail tells David that "If men rise up to pursue you and to seek your life, the life of my lord shall be bound in the bundle of the living in the care of the Lord your God. And the lives of your enemies he shall sling out as from the hollow of a sling."
There's Philip, right in the middle of the bundle. Secure on each side by mommy and daddy, warm in the middle, not able to fall out, unlikely to be crushed (though possible, I guess!), safe. And that's where we should desire to be in the Lord. Happy in the middle--perhaps unremarkable, perhaps not famous, perhaps just plodding along, but safe in them middle of the care of the Lord our God.

2 comments:

  1. What an encouraging thought to come out of a sleep-less early morning! Thank you for sharing that. I love those moments when everyone is cozy and content. I do not love those moments when I wake up in the middle of the night (which is what 5 am feels to me) and my mind starts racing with everything that needs to get done.... But Scipture meditation does help, so thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catrin this isn't related to your last blog but I thought that this would be the easist way to contact you. I am involved with a group that is doing some prescription drug abuse education in schools. As we were talking home school was mentioned and it got me to thinking. This is a group of people we don't always think about talking too. Would parents of home schoolers want this kind of education for either themselves or their kids. What do you think? I was thinking kids going off to college even quote Christian ones.

    ReplyDelete