Thursday, September 2, 2010

Bioluminescence

Today we took a field trip to the Museum of Natural Science in Raleigh. Once again I entered the photos backwards. This year we are studying Swimming Creatures of the Fifth Day (did I tell you I LOVE Apologia science--that's for you Christin). I'm trying to be more diligent about incorporating exhibits at our local museums into our learning experience. So, the exhibit on bioluminescent creatures fit in well (or so I thought).


My parents came with us, and my mom brought a special friend: a mummified tree frog she found trapped in her windowsill. Philip has claimed him as his new pet and is keeping him inside an old baby bottle.

I liked Philip's eye in this one!
Here's Abigail working on her worksheet in the exhibit. Philip's head is bioluminescing.

It didn't dawn on me that it is dang near impossible to bring creatures which live over 3000 feet below sea level on the abyssal plain up to the land. The pressure on their systems would kill them, therefore there was only one live creature in the exhibit. A little disappointing.
Here are my trusty parents who came along for the ride. My dad met a young friend for lunch while my mom helped me with the kids. My dad got his teeth stuck together on an energy bar, hence the smirk.

No comments:

Post a Comment