Thursday, January 13, 2011

Oarsmen Theology

I just listened to a sermon my brother, Owen, preached. He's a seminarian and so he's having the opportunities to preach at his home church. He preached on Hebrews 1:1-2 and in the sermon he referenced having called our dad to discuss his sermon outline. My dad described Heb. 1 to him as "Oarsmen Theology." You've seen skullers rowing purposefully across a lake or in a canal I'm sure. Ever notice how they are facing backwards, but going forwards? Same with our theology. We are moving forwards, but we are looking back at all of biblical history (Heb 1:1); looking back at all of God's promises which He has made to our ancestors and which apply to us (Heb. 1:2). Ever notice that little person perched on the skulling boat: the coxswain? They shout out the rhythm, they shout out the direction. There is someone who can see ahead, who is watching for the rocks, for the turns, for the pitfalls and they shout out the instructions to the crew. Christ is our guide, Christ our Redeemer, Christ our elder brother.
I just read Joshua 1 as part of my reading through the Bible plan for 2011 (Reading through the Bible for Shirkers and Slackers is the name of it--I thought it was appropriate for me!) and there you see God Himself pointing out to Joshua all of His promises--promises of a promised land, and all the Ebenezers along the way of their Wilderness Journey. God was faithful in the past and then He promised to be faithful in the future. He also required obedience from the Israelites: purposeful rowing in one direction. There was promised blessing from obedience. He knew that they couldn't fully obey and so the sacrificial system stayed in place to cover for their sins. But, He told them to try with their whole heart.

I haven't fully explored this analogy, but so far I've been chewing it over and found it so helpful. The Oarsmen Theology. Good stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Oooooh I like that image!
    I just started the book of Hebrews this week, so good timing for me! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete