Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Colonial Williamsburg


Although I put up a bunch of photos on facebook from this trip, it well deserves it's own blog spot, hopefully so I can remember the good information for future trips! Let's see: 1. it is GOOD to stay at the Woodlands Inn and Conference Center because a) you get a suite (kids in one room, closed door and parents in the other), b) you get free breakfast (and not just dry cereal!), c) it has an outdoor pool (with towels) and free mini-golf, d) they gave a very gracious extra 4 hours to check out late to accommodate a napper, and e) it is close to the bus to get you into Wmsburg. 2. It is GOOD to have good walking shoes at Wmsburg (lots of walking) 3. It is GOOD to go and do morning events and see trade shops in the town and then have lunch, come back to your hotel, take a nap and then catch the bus back into "town" to see a parade (each day) complete with drums, fifes and guns. 4. It is GOOD to keep a bag of Skittles in your purse to get you through a candlelight organ recital at 8 p.m. with 4 children who have been walking for 8 of the last 12 hours ;0) 5. It is GOOD to give thanks to the Lord for letting you run into friends from Charlotte who you never planned to meet in Wmsburg, but who "happened to be there" right at the same time you were ;0) Here are some photos.Oh yes, also GOOD to have a stroller--for everyone ;0)
Here we are waiting for the bus: the boys' favorite part.
I really loved the late afternoon light you get in Williamsburg. Something about it makes the whole places seem very "authentic" (if that makes any sense!).
The Governor's Palace. We had a very knowledgeable, but somewhat dry tourguide. By the very last room, Lydia looked at me imploringly and whispered, "Mom, this is BORING!" Agh well, she was sort of right.
See what I mean about the light? My camera doesn't really do it justice. I came home and looked up jobs at Colonial Wmsburg--a girl can dream ;0)Here are Joyners and Snapps intermingled in George Washington's pew at Bruton Parish Church. They spruced up each other's enthusiasm for Wmsburg ;0)
Simeon not so successful at hoop rolling with Daddy. He did actually have some fun although his face doesn't look that way in this photo.


Our two families on the steps outside the Mental Hospital/Art Museum (you know, building efficiency and all that).


1 comment:

  1. I thought I had already commented, but I guess it didn't take. We just booked our next trip to Williamsburg for November, hopefully at the peak of the leaves. Love that place! And I know what you mean by the light. I hope to get some fantastic shots this year, now that we have a new camera. If you ever go up there again, we'd love to meet up with you there. We're only 1 hour away.

    And I am so very sorry about the loss of your precious baby. With all my other issues, that is one thing I've never been asked to go through. I can't imagine the despair. But you have a beautiful surprise waiting for you on the other side of this life one day. And that is pretty exciting! Grace & peace over your whole family.

    ReplyDelete