Saturday, November 20, 2010

Swift to Hear


The "Starry Night" by Vincent van Gogh
"So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God." James 1:19,20
I spend my days talking: instructing, correcting, encouraging, directing, managing. I have some children who are better listeners and doers than others. I have some who need constant reminding, constant calling to attention. I didn't realize how far I had slid into this lifestyle of 24 hour speaking until I actually heard one of my children, for perhaps the first time.
We were doing an art study on The Starry Night by Van Gogh. I have done a serial art study with Lydia and it was always tough going. She was okay to look at the paintings, but never seemed to pull anything of herself out of the paintings we were studying. It was more of the Socratic method of studying art. So, I assumed that life would be the same with Abigail. I showed her Starry Night in the lobby of the library where we were waiting for Lydia to finish a homeschool class. I asked her what she saw in the painting. And then she started to speak. She immediately, but deliberately explained to me how van Gogh had included a pattern in with the painting which was sort of different from the overall theme of his painting. I explored the idea with her and she identified the pattern as the wind. I then asked her what colors he used in the painting. She began naming colors which I couldn't even see--not because they weren't there, but because I hadn't noticed them. She talked about how he used the colors. She talked about which part of the painting appealed to her, because of his color choices. She talked about how impressed she was with his use of lines, his use of small brush strokes. I was really, truly blown away.
As I stood there I couldn't help but thank God for His allowing me to be humbled--humbled so that I could hear this child. This child who is reminded minute by minute to finish one task and move on to the next. This child who is forever doodling on papers, taking hours to finish a drawing project. And ALL of this is going on in her head, all the time. But I never take the time to ask her. Oh Lord, help me to see that being made in Your image is unique in every child, and help me to appreciate that.

1 comment:

  1. Wow -- I love that she was able to say all that. I need to take some lessons!

    I also loved hearing about Simeon shouting, "Children" to get their attention. That continues to crack me up. :)

    ReplyDelete